CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

So, this blog thing...


          I grew up in a large family, where the kitchen was the epicenter of activity. We baked when were happy, sad, grieving, coping, celebrating - you name it, we had a recipe to fit the occasion. So needless to say, baking is a staple in my life. However, I wasn't really expecting to revisit my family traditions at 23 years old.


My life took a few unexpected twists and turns in the past year, and I ended up finding a part-time job at Gigi's Cupcakes as a Cupcake Decorator (check them out at gigiscupcakesusa.com!!). Landing this job was the real reason that I started to remember how great it felt to bake. Holding a spatula in my hand, mixing together a batter is a huge stress-reducer for me; similar to someone who jogs in order to relax (except not nearly as healthy - I create calories while runners burn them). 

I remember watching the movie Julie and Julia and still remain fascinated by Julie Powell’s dedication toward cooking her way through Julia Child’s cookbook (and then blogging about it!!!). I watch in awe when Candace Nelson judges cupcakes on TV, as if I’m watching an Oprah Winfrey episode in all of her glory; not to mention the joy I find watching Sophie LaMontagne and Katherine Kallinis on DC Cupcakes. And boys, the art of cake decorating isn’t restricted to females only. Look at Duff Goldman (Ace of Cakes) and Buddy Valastro (better known as “Cake Boss”).     

What I’m trying to say is, I find myself inspired by these entrepreneurs and connoisseurs in a similar manner as I’m inspired by the powerful political figures of our past and present. After spending four years earning my bachelor’s degree in political science and another six months in a graduate program that I despised, I dropped out and took a six month break to unwind before beginning a new graduate program. My intentions were to spend this time expanding my knowledge of the intricacies of international relations theory, delving into feminist ideologies, and memorizing the entire history of Latin America by heart. Of course I am inspired by the work of Hans Morgenthau, Betty Friedan and Che Guevara, for example (and yes, I just put those three individuals in the same group) – but I just haven't found the comfort in reading about these historical figures that I find in baking.

After working at Gigi's for a few months (and loving it), I started watching more shows on the Food Network and reading less. I’m not necessarily proud of my lack of self-discipline, but nevertheless, I have thoroughly enjoyed a six month break from the frustrations of structured education. Temporarily, I have decided to replace the pencil with the spatula and try my hand at baking (I swear if I see any comments that are anti-feminist, I will physically hurt you). This is not to say that I’ve turned away from my love of politics, feminism, or Latin America; these will be incorporated oh-so-objectively into my baking blog as well. =)

I have two months until I start graduate school, so my goal is to bake as many fun, tasty little treats as I can and document them here on my blog. Don’t expect an eloquent, well-written post on-the-daily either – I’m saving that energy for my thesis.

So, I have a book entitled, “500 Cupcakes”, which offers cupcake recipes ranging from classic flavors to special-diet recipes. My recipes will come from this book.

Let’s get started.

0 comments:

Post a Comment