CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 15, 2013

Bachelorette Penis Cake - Don't Judge.

So, I'm running around campus one day and get a text from my boyfriend, "Hey..can you make a penis cake?".

Intriguing, right?

So, I said I would give it a shot. Bear in mind that I have NEVER attempted to make a cake look like any body part. And the story thickens...

It's for his boss. She is hosting a Bachelorette party for a close friend, and the only thing this friend wanted at her party was a penis cake. No pressure, right?

So I do what any diligent amateur baker does - I research. I googled penis cake images for hours (warning: graphic content occasionally follows when searching for this), watched Youtube videos on how to make a penis cake, and read dozens of blogs.

Thanks to Brandi, who made this awesome video. It was a huge help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CbtkO5GXNo

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did my best, using my favorite chocolate cake recipe and vanilla buttercream frosting. Since they didn't want fondant on the cake, I made the icing as smooth as possible and here is how it ended up:

Here are the details:

Cake Recipe:
  • 1 3/4 cups flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cups cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 cup strong black coffee   
Interestingly, this cake recipe doesn't require you to combine the ingredients in a specific way. Just preheat the oven to 350 degrees, butter and flour cake pan, and combine all dry ingredients in mixer first (make sure you sift your dry ingredients!!! - Baking 101, duh). Then, add in all wet ingredients, mix a couple of times by hand, and finish with mixer. Bake for 35-40 minutes.

Icing Recipe (which I had to double to accurately ice the cake):
  • 1/2 cup butter-flavored crisco
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3 cups powdered sugar (or until desired consistency)
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • (some people use 2 tbsp. milk, but I didn't need it)

"Skin-tone" Icing color:
  • 2 parts brown to 1 part pink (more pink for the head)
I wish I could walk you through a step-by-step process, but I didn't take pictures =/ But feel free to contact me with any questions!

P.S. The most valuable thing I learned from this experience is to do a crumb coat before you decorate. Always. Crumb. Coat.

Until next time, compadres.







0 comments:

Post a Comment