CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Apple Streusel Coffee Cake

Let me just say, moving four times in one year does not bode well for your baking supply stockpile. I cannot say in which apartment I left my bundt pan, but it was certainly not in my meticulously-labelled boxes when I unpacked last month.

And this may not seem like a crisis to most people, but I may have lost sleep over it. There are so many desserts that were just out of reach, because of the lack of the proper pan.. Pound cakes, coffee cakes, cheesecakes, monkey bread, fudge cakes...need I go on? Without a bundt pan, these recipes were off limits.

Thus began my search. Normally, I would just sneak into my Momma's or Grandma's kitchen and snag a pan (and eventually return it, of course).  Unfortunately, I don't live in my hometown anymore, and a trip to Chillicothe just to steal from family seemed a bit extreme. And do you know how expensive new bundt pans are at Bed, Bath, and Beyond? No thank you. Luckily, my wonderful mother found one for me =)

Anyways, that was the adventure of the blog post. Now, on to the recipe itself. I chose the Apple Streusel Coffee Cake because A) coffee cake is awesome, and B) there is no b.

So.

Ingredients:

for the crumb topping:
  • 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup butter (cold)
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
for the cake:
  • 3 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups vanilla yogurt
  • 4-5 medium-sized apples (Gala apples work very well)

  •  Grease and flour your bundt pan. 
Here is a picture of the infamous bundt pan itself.
  •  Make your crumbly topping mixture (legit name I know) first. Just cut up the butter into tiny little pieces, and mix together with the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon (the first section of ingredients on the list).

  • Set aside. Then, cream the 3/4 cup butter and 1 1/4 cup sugar until its light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and yogurt. Add in the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Don't mix too much, just until blended.

  •  Spoon two cups of the batter into the pan. Cut up apples into small pieces and layer on top of the batter. Sprinkle with half of the streusel mixture.
  • Repeat.
  • Bake the cake at 350 degrees for about one hour, or until a wooden pick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
  • Remove the cake from the bundt pan and cool. 

Again, put things away as you go. This is a slightly messy recipe, and my kitchen was a disaster.


Buuuuut, the end result was delicious =)













Hasta luego, Camaradas!!

<3 Meg

0 comments:

Post a Comment